|Home » Articles » Promotion|
10 tips to selling online
By Jakob Jelling
The 21st century is the century of the internet. It is the century of the information superhighway, which unites the whole planet into one community. We are increasingly becoming dependant on the internet for our daily dose of news, entertainment and information.
While earlier, people surfed the internet for entertainment and communication, now it is beginning to replace the ‘brick and mortar’ world to fulfill our daily needs. With the internet becoming a huge marketplace, can advertisers be far behind? In fact, selling in the virtual world is becoming complicated day by day. The online customer is always in a hurry. The primary job of any online marketer is to insure that visitors to his site stay on.
Here are some tips to turn the internet into a more effective selling medium:
1. Insure that your site is capable of running on more than one browser. While it is true that almost 80% of internet users have windows Explorer, do you really want to turn away that Netscape, Mozilla Firefox or Macintosh user? In most cases, only a little tweaking of the page layout insures that it runs on most browsers.
2. Pay attention to the design of the website. For one, it should be extremely easy to navigate. The online customer displays an impatience that is absent in the real world. To insure that they do not click-off, webpage layout should be such that it seduces them into staying.
3. Most online marketers offer either free of heavily discounted versions of the same. This is a very effective tool.
4. You can also bundle together products or services that the customer might want to buy together. For example, a sofa set can be bundled with suggestions on room décor, carpets etc. this increases your transaction value.
5. Customer testimonials are extremely important in the virtual world. Since the consumer cannot always ‘see’ the product, they are always on the lookout for more information. Customer testimonials build trust. They should be easily visible on the webpage.
6. For the small or home businessman, there’s nothing as conducive to selling as an auction site. Consumers come to these sites already looking for a specific product. Though you have to work towards differentiating yourself from the competition.
7. Free traffic exchanges are boon for the small and home businessman. They drive focused traffic to your site. It is a cost-effective way of getting in touch with your consumers.
8. A truly great online marketer distinguishes himself with a range of off-line technical support and services. You can offer live chat sessions as sales support. The online technical support webcopy should be extremely lucid and direct.
9. Get a privacy seal for website. This assures the customer that their personal information is safe with your company.
10. Websites should download easily. The online consumer is extremely
impatient. They will turn away from a site in the few extra seconds it
takes a page to download.